Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Post B

"They asked me what I was doing cooking hotdogs all by myself at the age of three."(10) This quote makes me think about how each set/single parent chooses how to raise thier children. This could be why they are people who slack more and depend on others, while there are some people who rarely need help. I think that the way a parent raises thier child plays a big part in how the child's personality will develop in the future. The fact that the author was able to cook for herself at the age of three shows how the parents' valued thier children having a trait of self sufficiency. To others this could be viewed as abuse because they are putting thier children at great risk. I think that abuse occurs only when the child/person is bothered by what is happening to them. At the time Jeanette wasn't upset at all cooking her own lunch. This chapter actually had a somewhat content mood before she was burned. Yes she was burned severely, but judging by the author's tone, Jeanette wasn't at all angry towards her parents for being neglectful. Would I do this to my child? Heck no. But I would teach them other things that would be less dangerous but would still teach them how to be self sufficient. Like getting dressed by themselves or making thier own bed.

No comments: