Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Post B

"But I could never enjoy the room without worrying about Mom and Dad huddled on a sidewalk grate somewhere. I fretted about them, but I was embarrassed by them,too, and ashamed of myself for wearing pearls......."(4) This quote seemed like a very important line in the book. It helped set the scene of how the author is currently doing in life and in relationships. What I also found interesting about this quote was how it was also a very modern line. There are many people who are ashamed of where they come from. The author admits to feeling guilty about how much money she has, so my question is this: If we have the power to change how we feel (in this case the power would be money) and change others' lives in a positive way, then why don't we act on it? Don't get me wrong. I know there are many people out in the world who donate lots of money. But there are also people who have plenty but feel as though they can't afford to waste it on charity. These types of people I wonder, do they feel bad about what they are doing? or do they just not care at all? Mrs. Walls seems to feel guilty yet she is embarrasssed to be seen with her parents. Did she stop to think that maybe the best charity she could give to her parents was her company and to be prideful of her family? To me it seems as though that is what her parents truly wanted. Not her pity, but the comfort to know that they provided a happy childhood for thier daughter.

No comments: