Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Post 2

Dear Bobo,

I was slightly confused about your memoir at the beginning. There were some details that I didn't care to hear and felt like they were pointless in the plot. For instance on page five where you are talking about the loo, "We debate the merits of flushing the loo[...]." You spent basically the whole page describing the toilet. I don't think that helps draw the reader in, or even help develop the plot to the story. I understand that was your way of telling the reader you didn't have very much money, but I still think there are other ways to describe your poor lifestyle without grossing out the reader. I did however like the way you described mom when she is intoxicated. I found it humorous and rather entertaining. Usually when you read about stories where one of the adults is constantly drinking, it tends to lead to the abuse of a child. It is really depressing to hear these kind of stories, especially when they are non-fiction. So I found this a nice change of pace. Sometimes when I am reading your memoir I feel almost angry about your life. As funny as it is that your mom was a ditz when she drank, I pity you because your mother's poor behavior forced you to grow up at a young age. No parent should ever make their child have to miss out on enjoying childhood. Your father was no help to this cause either, due to his support of you smoking. Actually it wasn't that he supported you smoking, it was more that he didn't care if you became addicted, and he would supply you with cigarettes. Anyways those are my thoughts on the book so far. I hope that your life progesses in the right direction.

Disappointed,
Lauren

1 comment:

edinacaitlin said...

only you, lauren dearest, would end your letter in "disappointed". you are kinda mommy-y like that :)